So, you’ve decided to have new double-glazed windows installed in your home. You want to save money and energy in keeping your home warm, rejuvenate your property’s appearance, and you’re eager to get started. But before you can get started, you need to make sure you’re actually allowed to do so.


More often than not, you won’t need planning permission to have double glazing installed in your home. Despite the huge impact they can have on your home, they’re actually a reasonably minimal alteration so it is unlikely that replacement windows will get you into any trouble.


But if you go through the time and expense of having them fitted without finding out if you need permission, you may find problems arise with your local council or neighbours later down the line.


You won’t normally need planning permission if you have double glazing installed in a “dwelling house”, which is just any building that is used as a home. Flats do not fall under this category, however, so will require planning consent before installation.


If you want double glazing fitted in…

• a listed building,
• a home in a conservation area,
• a flat, or
• a house under an Article 4 Directive,


…then you will need to apply for planning permission before your chosen installer can do anything. You may be granted permission, denied permission, or be allowed to carry out the works within specific guidelines.


Double glazing in a listed building or conservation area

Listed buildings and properties situated in a conservation area are under the protection of the Planning Act of 1990. This sounds quite forceful and formal, but really it just means you need to ask before you make any changes.


You’ll need to apply for listed building consent…

• if you plan to replace the existing windows with new ones with a change of style, frame materials, colour,
• if you plan to re-glaze the glass, or
• if you are switching from single glazing to double glazing.


If you want to install new windows in your home and you live in a conservation area, you may be required to do a ‘like for like’ installation. Your local council will be able to give you advice on what can and cannot be installed in your area.


Planning consent for your double-glazing installation

Many professional double glazing companies recommend you contact your local planning authority before starting any home improvement project. It always pays to speak to an expert so involve a local trusted trader in the process from the very beginning.